Friday, September 30, 2011

Statement

Via Warm Pixels | 30 Sept 2011

I have a feeling that a lot of my friends and readers have an opinion about me that paints me as a gay personality in the Maldives who is completely out of the closet and advocates the same.

I'm not, and I don't.

I have been pro gay, yes, but I don't want to be famed in this part of the world as a gay man fighting for gay rights in a society that can be potentially hostile.

So, even though I can appear to be quite open, I don't generally let people know about my sexuality unless it is a necessity. Like I've said before... straight people don't introduce themselves as straight.

So why should gay people do so?

I very much would like to people to respect my right to privacy, and fight for that particular right themselves rather than organize pride parades.

I know some people, for lack of conversation at coffees, love to talk about me and *gasp* my sexuality, but I do not appreciate it (even though that sort of thing feeds my ego to no end.) Instead, you could talk about the weather, or some sort of weird skin problem or your ongoing battles with flatulence. There are things you could do, like research something interesting on the internet and talk about that.

Just leave extended discussions about my life out of your puerile gossip.

To those who think that I am the same person that I was a couple of years before... or even two months back - People change. That's what makes us human. I learn, adapt and move on.

Which means, I haven't been a whore since the beginning of this year. Please do not tell it to my face that I have become a "boring person after I got married"... Firefly and I are very happy together, and we do a lot of fun and interesting things that shouldn't matter to anyone else.

I am not one of those people who are stuck in a cycle of oblivion, in a static illusion of an idealistic reality. I do not see moments. I see conversations. I do not see effortlessness... I see hard work.

And that's how reality works. How relationships work. It's how this whole "being gay" thing works. It's not about having a pride parade and being an activist. It's about being grateful for what you have... not how you have it, the amount you have it or any other way.

Free counters!
 
Proudly Supported by Rainbow Maldives | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | fantastic sams coupons