Friday, July 27, 2012

Under the Crescent of Ramadan: Reconciling with Lord Almighty

As we celebrate the holy month of Ramdan, I, as a gay, come to reconsider my relationship with God and where I stand when it comes to religion.

Resorting to a supernatural being, which is omnipresent and omnipotent to explain the unexplored and unexplainable can, in my point of view, prevent me from going insane.  It can make me a more enduring person in times of adversity. Also believing in a benevolent and merciful being can lead to manifestation of such godly qualities within me. For a scientist or an atheist this is nothing short of hocus-pocus, but hey this is where I stand.

As for the idea of assembled following of a religion, to me, is against the very human nature. If each of us, with our unique personalities, desires and ambitions, is required to confirm to the same rules and regulations, where is place for creativity and personal growth?

To me religion is a personal experience. One shouldn’t be questioned nor punished based on his failure to do the acts of worship prescribed by religion. If you feel like you have reached a level of faith where you have no problem waking up at the wee hours of morning for your morning prayers or to drag yourself away from weekend specials to church and synagogue, then good for you, but do not except the rest to be the same. The experiences that led you to be such a pious person are not necessarily shared by everyone. If you have your reasons to be such a do-gooder, in a manner of speaking, then the other person has their reasons for not be so.

God and religion, in my point of view, is very accommodating and forgiving. But that is only if we can learn to differentiate between the Lord’s wish and the wish of the people who preach in the infallible name of the Lord. Only if we can come to relate personally to what God meant and not to what the hypocrites who interpret and misinterpret the God’s words according to their whims and wills. 

To roundup the post, I will have to say the relationship between me and God is a very personal relationship, we have our fallouts but we always have ways to make up. I don’t except you to understand the dynamics of this very complex and personal relationship. But as I always say, I expect you to respect.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Free counters!
 
Proudly Supported by Rainbow Maldives | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | fantastic sams coupons