Monday, July 26, 2010

Gay in the Maldives

Andrew Mersmann, in an article on the Maldives for Passport Magazine, includes a discussion on the terrible situation for gay people there:

Gay visitors to the Maldives are the same as straight visitors,” a resort staffer tells me. “You’re not coming here alone, you’re coming to celebrate a honeymoon or a romantic getaway or a trip with family or a group of friends. No foreigner, gay or straight, is coming to the Maldives to get lucky, it’s just not available here. The world’s greatest watersports? Yes. Fantastic food? Yes. Outrageous luxury and relaxation? Yes. But casual sex? No.” An Australian expat employee at a resort with whom I spoke mentioned that because of Sunni Muslim law, it is far more of an affront to the culture for her to live with her unmarried male partner of many years than it would be for two men to live together as a couple. Neither is celebrated, but since the society’s unmarried opposite sex people cannot mingle, it’s less conspicuous for same-sex pairings.

The situation for Maldivians, however, is entirely different. A Maldivian man, seeking asylum in the US based on his sexual orientation due to abuse he suffered from the government of the Maldives, agreed to speak to me without being named. We’ll call him M.N.


In 1995, M.N. was a discreet, careful gay man. Another man had been courting him, but M.N. was not interested. The rebuffed suitor told him, “If I can’t have you, nobody else can either.” When M.N. met a man in whom he was interested, and began an affair, the spurned man, who had been following the couple, called police when he knew they were having sex. Police came and banged on the door. M.N.’s partner “freaked out and told everything” signing a confession. The two were taken to the police station and beaten, then to the prison island for 45 days. M.N. was regularly beaten and abused, requiring medical attention and receiving wounds that did not heal for 18 months. In addition to incarceration, their names were published and a public lashing was scheduled. Taken to the town square, crowds gathered. “They beat me in public outside the court. People gathered to watch the ‘game,’ just like a football game—they eat popcorn and watch.”


Once released, M.N. was unable to find employment, “I was the ‘labeled’ one in the Maldives—we became creatures of Satan.” Even though a previous affair with a minister’s son was well-known by the community, nobody spoke of it publicly because of the attachment to a religious family. M.N.’s own family disowned him, “Except my mother, she has a soft heart.”


“I don’t know if I would want to go back,” says M.N., even if the laws were changed and same-sex relationships accepted. “We have ‘plastic’ laws in the Maldives. They can change in a second, in the blink of an eye. I couldn’t trust that it wouldn’t change again.”


M.N.’s asylum case will be decided this fall, when he will learn if he can remain in the United States or be deported back to a country where hardship is guaranteed. “The resorts and the people [who live there] are a totally different story. Two different worlds. You would go with your boyfriend and have a great time, but I could never do that. But I can here [in the US].”

M.N. then goes on to tell me about a date he has that night. He’s nervous, excited, and happy not to have to whisper. A gay blogger, called “Warm.Pixels” shares his experiences about being gay in the Maldives. 
 

Are you "out" to the community?
Generally, no. I do not introduce myself to people as, "Hi, I’m Warm.Pixels and I’m gay!" just as a straight person wouldn’t introduce himself as "straight!" But then, I don’t hide my sexuality or my preferences. It’s up to people to ask me, and though I don’t lie, I don’t tell everyone.


To your family?
They know about it, thanks to a loose-lipped cousin of mine. It’s not a problem though... they’re all in denial.


To select friends?
Yes. I need to have a support group. I’m glad to say that I can kiss my partner on the beaches of Vilingili in front of them without a negative reaction.


At school or work?
Yes. I did that because I didn’t want to be in a situation where they find out from a malicious source who would probably put it in the worst light.


Do you know any other gay men or lesbians in the Maldives who are out?
Well yes, there are open gay men, out to the public. They’ve been involved in scandals, and have gone through the consequences. I personally feel that it’s a rite of passage. I mean, after all, the pre-independence royalty were full of gay scandals.


Do you know of or have you seen violence committed against gay men or lesbians because of their sexuality, perceived sexuality, or gender expression?

Gender-based violence and sexuality-based violence is very high as this society is facing a sudden rise in religious extremism. Quite recently, there were seven men arrested based on videos leaked of them having sex with each other. The funny thing about it is that there were two Imams involved...reminds one of the scandals of the churches in US.


What would happen if you were to be "caught" in a same-sex intimate situation?
Flogged, jailed, and/or banished to a remote island for 1.5+ years. Thank God it’s not summary execution, like in other radical Islamic countries...although I think pretty soon we may have that here as well.


Do you feel that the situation is getting better, or worse, for LGBT Maldivians?
Hard to say. I don’t feel any safer, due to the rise in religious fanaticism, but I don’t get so many stares these days when I walk down the street with my arm on my partner’s waist.

Is there any safe space the LGBT community goes to meet?
Not specifically.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Free counters!
 
Proudly Supported by Rainbow Maldives | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | fantastic sams coupons