Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Letter to Amnesty International



The Director
Amnesty International

Dear Sir/Madam:
On 24 June 2010 I was arrested by Raa Atoll Ungoofaaru Police Station where I was charged with “attempted suicide by overdozing on less than a gram of hash oil, atheism and homosexuality.”

However, quite strangely, only a vague reference to “drug abuse” appeared on the Court Order for my arrest.

While the officers of the Maldives Police Service at Male’ Custodial were very kind to me – understandably, due to my parents refusing to allow my transfer to house arrest due to the gravity of the charges – I feel vulnerable against corrupt elements, the remnants of former President Gayoom’s dictatorship, rampant in the Maldives Judiciary and other law enforcement agencies.

I also feel defenceless against extremists of all sorts and the extreme ideas prevailing in Maldives society, especially in relation to previous contributions to Minivan News.

Hence, I would greatly appreciate if you can help me find temporary asylum in a friendly democratic country until I feel it is safe for me to return to Maldives and continue my investigative work as a freelance journalist and independent blogger promoting human rights.

Thanking you in advance for your kind cooperation.


Yours sincerely,
Ismail Khilath Rasheed


CC: Human Rights Commission of Maldives
U.N.C.H.R.
Reporters Without Borders



All letters are the sole view of the author and do not reflect the editorial policy of Minivan News. If you would like to submit a letter, please send it to minivan.news@gmail.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Free counters!
 
Proudly Supported by Rainbow Maldives | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | fantastic sams coupons